June 14 is the day that the Rev. Elijah Craig first distilled whiskey from corn in Bourbon County, Kentucky. (Elijah Craig’s name lives on as a premium bourbon brand from Heaven Hill.) In 1964, Congress declared that “bourbon whiskey is a distinctive product of the United States.” And June 14th is National Bourbon Day. Any day is worth celebrating America’s native spirit.
Here’s a simple recipe to enjoy. Nothing fancy, just highlighting good bourbon.
The Gold Rush
2 oz. Elijah Craig 12-Year-Old Bourbon
1 oz. Honey Syrup
.75 oz. of fresh squeezed lemon juice
Shake with ice and strain over ice ball in chilled rocks glass.
- Gold Rush Cocktail (bourbonandoak.com)
- Elijah Craig 12 Year Rating & Review (bourbonandoak.com)
- June 2013 Bourbon of the Month (bourbonandoak.com)
- On Whiskey: Oh Elijah, Elijah Craig. (okramagazine.org)
- national bourbon day (bourbonjour.wordpress.com)